How to apply for kindergarten
There are both municipal and private kindergartens. Both use the same admission process.
When do I need to apply?
If you apply to municipal kindergartens:
- Children entitled to placement in August and September must apply for kindergarten by the 1st of March. The desired start date must be the 30th of September at the latest.
- Children entitled to placement in October and November must apply no later than the 15th of August. The desired start date must be the 30th of November at the latest.
If you apply to private kindergartens:
- Many private kindergartens fill their spots during the spring, and some presuppose starting in August. If you want a place in a private kindergarten, we recommend that you apply no later than the 1st of March, also for children born in October or November. Remember to read the statutes of the private kindergartens on your applicant list.
Do you wish to change kindergarten for your child; you should send your application by 1st of March. After the 1st of March deadline, a separate selection process will be carried out for those who have applied to change kindergarten. Most places that are available at that time will have a starting time of August.
When will I be notified of placement?
It may take some time before you are notified. Children who apply prior to the deadline on March 1st will be admitted in August, September, October or November (depending on the birth month of your child). Children who apply prior to the deadline on August 15th will be admitted in October or November.
Requirements for applicants
- You must have a Norwegian personal identity numer or D-number for yourself and your child, as well as an e-mail address and a mobile phone number. If you do not have a personal identity number you will need to contact the local city district office in your area before you can apply (see contact information at the bottom of the page).
- If your child is to attend a municipal kindergarten, they must be a registered resident of Oslo before the first day of attendance. Private kindergartens may have different rules regarding this matter. Please contact the kindergarten for more information.
How to apply
Find the kindergartens you would like your child to attend on the list (the list is in Norwegian only).
Select no more than five kindergartens you wish to apply for. Please make sure your child is within the permitted age range for the kindergartens you choose (you will find this information on their web page). The majority of kindergartens in Oslo admit children within the range of 10 months to 6 years.
Subtitles in several languages. Select your preferred language in the video's bottom right corner.