What are the main changes?
New application deadline for the main selection process for children entitled to places in October and November
15th of August is the new application deadline for parents with children entitled to placement in October and November.
Children entitled to placement in August and September must still apply for a kindergarten place by 1st of March at the latest to be entitled to a place in the main selection process
Separate selection process for those applying to change kindergarten
After the 1st of March deadline, a separate selection process will be carried out for those who have applied to change kindergarten. In order to have the application processed, the application to change must be submitted by 1 March. Most places that are available at that time will be have a starting time of August.
Changed order for allocation of spaces in municipal kindergartens
Children in group 1 are always allocated spaces first. After the selection process for those applying to change places, selection processes are carried out for children with a statutory right to places in August and September. As previously, the order for allocation in each selection process is determined by group affiliation and age.
These are the groups in the new regulations:
- Children with disabilities and children subject to decisions pursuant to the Child Welfare Act. A competent authority must confirm that the child has a disability. Decisions pursuant to the Child Welfare Act must be documented with the county social welfare board’s decision, the child welfare service’s decision or a court decision.
- Children of families with significant difficulties due to illness or disability among parents or siblings. Requires documentation from physician that the illness or disability is serious and permanent.
- Children of parents participating in the City of Oslo’s introduction programme for newly arrived refugees. This requires documentation from NAV or the city district.
- Siblings: children who have siblings in the desired municipal kindergarten at the time of starting, and siblings who are applying for a place in the same municipal kindergarten with the same starting date
- Children of single parents who are employed or in education, or who are actively seeking employment or education. Requires confirmation from NAV, for example decision of double child benefit, and documentation of work or education.
- Other children
Siblings who already have spaces are part of the selection process for changing places after 1st of March. Siblings who do not already have spaces are part of the selection process for children entitled to places.
After the 15th of August deadline places are allocated to children with statutory rights to places in October and November.
Changed period of notice for municipal kindergartens
There is a one month period of notice from the 1st of each month.
Do I need to change my previous application?
No, that is not necessary. If you already have submitted an application, it will be processed during the main selection process in accordance with the new rules.