Licence to serve alcohol at public and private events

When do I need to apply for a licence to serve alcohol at events?

You must apply for a licence to serve alcohol if:

  • you lease premises, receive money for alcohol or if your premises only have a licence to serve food
  • you want to serve alcohol at a private gathering such as a wedding, anniversary or internal company event
  • you want to hold a public event in premises without a licence to serve alcohol, or outdoors in a restricted area

Which requirements must I satisfy?

  • The applicant must be at least 20 years old.
  • You must nominate a person who will be responsible for the serving of alcohol (licensee). The licensee must be at least 20 years old.
  • Licences for events in shops or showrooms will only be granted after normal opening hours.

How much does it cost?

  • The fee for private events, such as weddings, anniversaries and company parties is currently NOK 440 per event.
  • The minimum fee for public events, such as festivals, is currently NOK 6,100. The size of the final licence fee depends on how much alcohol is sold. You must send a report to Næringsetaten stating how much alcohol has been sold no later than 14 days after the event. Submit your report here.

Your application fee is non-refundable, even if your application is rejected.

Apply for a licence
(Log in, application in Norwegian)

The answer is sent to your digital mailbox.