Links to these websites are also included across the rest of the pages where they are relevant.
The Norwegian Directorate of Immigration
- Norwegian: Utlendingsdirektoratet (UDI)
Handles applications for residence permits and visas. The webpage guides you through the application processes step by step.
The Immigration Appeals Board
- Norwegian: Utlendingsnemda (UNE)
The appellate body for immigration and citizenship cases.
Directorate of Integration and Diversity
- Norwegian: Integrerings- og mangfoldsdirektoratet (IMDi)
Responsible for implementing the government's integration policies regarding Norwegian language training and the introduction program for refugees.
- Norwegian: Politiet
You book your appointment in advance to register with the police (or SUA) after you have arrived in Norway.
The Norwegian Tax Administration
- Norwegian: Skatteetaten. The branch for Oslo: Skatt Øst
Responsible for taxation as well as the National Register (Folkeregisteret)
Norwegian embassies and consulates
- Norwegian: norske ambassader og konsulater
The embassy pages have timelines for the application process for permits and visas.
Service Centre for Foreign Workers
- Norwegian: Servicesenter for utenlandske arbeidstakere (SUA)
Office where labour migrants can talk to the Tax administration, the police, UDI and the Labour Inspection Authority.
- Norwegian: Tolletaten
Import and export of goods.
Norwegian Labour and Welfare Administration
- Norwegian: Arbeids- og velferdsetaten (NAV)
Administers schemes such as unemployment benefit, work assessment allowance, sickness benefit, pensions, child benefit and cash-for-care benefit.
- Norwegian: Kompetanse Norge
The Norwegian Agency for Lifelong Learning, working to support active citizenship, improve employability and increase participation in education.
The Norwegian Agency for Quality Assurance in Education
- Norwegian: Nasjonalt organ for kvalitet i utdanningen (NOKUT)
Evaluation and accreditation of higher education and tertiary vocational education as well as recognised foreign education.
The Norwegian Directorate for Education and Training
- Norwegian: Utdanningsdirektoratet (Udir)
Responsible for the development of kindergarten and primary and secondary education.
The Norwegian Directorate for Children, Youth and Family Affairs
- Norwegian: Barne-, ungdoms- og familiedirektoratet (Bufdir)
Responsible for Child Welfare Services (Barnevernet) and Family Councelling Services (Familierådgiving), foster care and universal design.
- Norwegian: Innovasjon Norge
Supporting innovation and development of Norwegian enterprises and industry.
The Norwegian Health Economics Administration
- Norwegian: (Helfo)
The agency’s responsibilities include making payments from the National Insurance scheme to healthcare providers, suppliers and service providers, as well as individual refunds of expenses incurred by private individuals relating to medicines, dental healthcare and health services abroad.
The Norwegian Labour Inspection Authority
- Norwegian: Arbeidstilsynet
Focused on occupational safety and health, providing programmes and information, guiding and supervising for individual enterprises.
The Equality and Anti-Discrimination Ombud
- Norwegian: Likestillings- og diskrimineringsombudet
Working to prevent discrimination and promote equality.
The Norwegian Public Roads Administration
- Norwegian: Vegvesenet
Working to provide a smart, safe and continuous road transport system.
The Consumer Council of Norway
- Norwegian: Forbrukerrådet
Helps citizens with tips and advice prior to purchase, information about consumer rights and assistance in the complaint procedure.
- Norwegian: Posten Norge
A Nordic postal and logistics group that develops and delivers integrated solutions in postal services, communications and logistics.
Other helpful links:
Go to regjeringen.no for
- a list of the departments and agencies working with immigration and international affairs on the State level (in Norwegian)
- a list of Norwegian terms and translations for departments and ministers on the government level
- a list of Norwegian terms and translations for committees and titles in the Storting
County Governor of Oslo og Viken
- Norwegian: Statsforvalteren for Oslo og Viken
The county administration.
The City of Oslo municipality (Oslo kommune)
- Municipal agencies (etater, foretak og ombud) (in Norwegian)
- Districts (bydeler)
- Go to Oslo Kommune’s Facebook page (posts in Norwegian)
Do you have anything to report regarding public spaces, like potholes, uncollected rubbish or missing streetlights?
- Go to bymelding.no to report to Bymiljøetaten (Agency for Urban Environment)
Municipal agencies and districts on Facebook
- Go to Bymiljøetaten’s Facebook page (posts in Norwegian)
- Go to Klimaetaten’s Facebook page (posts in Norwegian)
- Go to the municipal Facebook page Sykkel i Oslo (Bicycle in Oslo) (posts in Norwegian)
- Go to Renovasjons- og gjenvinningsetaten’s Facebook page about waste and recycling (posts in Norwegian)
- Many districts have their own Facebook pages. Search for “bydel” or the name of the area. The municipal pages will have the logo of Oslo Kommune in the profile picture.