Accommodation for refugees

The City of Oslo is responsible for finding accommodation for refugees, but refugees who have been awarded a residence permit can also try to find their own accommodation.

Переклад / Перевод 

Житло для біженців (UKR, 0,5MB)

Жилье для беженцев (RU, PDF 0,5MB)


The municipality is responsible for providing accommodation for refugees that the Directorate of Diversity and Integration (IMDi) asks the municipality to accommodate. It may take some time to settle refugees after asylum has been granted. The districts are responsible for providing suitable accommodation. The district can use either the private market or municipal housing.

Refugees who arrange their own accommodation

Refugees who arrange their own accommodation must contact the district to have the accommodation in question approved. If the tenancy agreement is approved, a settlement agreement is entered into between the district and the Directorate of Diversity and Integration (IMDi). This provides the right to receive public sector services. 

Refugees with no formal agreement with the municipality 

Refugees who have been awarded a residence permit, who move from a reception centre to a municipality without a formal agreement having been entered into between IMDi and the municipality, are regarded as self-settlers. Refugees who settle in this way are not entitled to attend an introduction programme, and may forfeit the right to other financial support.  

Moving to another municipality 

If a refugee chooses to move from their settlement municipality within five years of settling, they are deemed to be secondary settlers and may lose certain rights. For example, refugees who move without an agreement with the relocation municipality forfeit the right to attend an introduction programme. The district decides whether they will accept secondary and self-settlers. 

Useful tips if you are arranging your own accommodation   

  • Refugees who settle in the municipality by agreement with IMDi must in principle pay their own rent.  
  • However, in practice, many refugees are unable to pay their rent or cover other expenses. In such cases they can apply for social assistance. When refugees start the introduction programme, they receive financial support, and can pay their rent themselves. They can also apply for a number of housing benefit allowances. The district’s NAV office can help with this.  
  • The tenancy agreement must not be signed until it has been approved by the district.
  • The tenancy agreement is entered into between the landlord and the person who will live in the apartment, but the municipality provides a deposit guarantee.  
  • The consumer organisation the National Federation of House Owners in Norway have prepared a tenancy agreement that has been translated into several languages: Tenancy agreement – foreign language translations (
  • Everyone with a residence permit in Norway is entitled to settle in any municipality, provided that they are financially self-sufficient.