Elections are held every four years. The City Council is chaired by the Mayor of Oslo. The City Council decides on the City budget and overall policies for the City of Oslo. The City Council also supervises the City Government and its administration. The configuration of the City Council determines the composition of the City Government according to a parliamentary system of government.
The City Council is divided into five Standing Committees: Finance, Health and Welfare, Urban Development, Education and Cultural Affairs and Transport and Environmental Affairs. These committees prepare all matters for decision by the City Council.
The Council also has a Procedures Committee which organizes the work of the Council and a Control Committee which supervises the activities of the City Government and its administration.
Party representation in the City Council 2015-2019:
- 20 Members of City Council from Arbeiderpartiet (A), (the Labour Party)
- 19 Members of City Council from Høyre (H), (the Conservative Party)
- 5 Members of City Council from Miljøpartiet De Grønne (MDG), (the Green Party)
- 4 Members of City Council from Fremskrittspartiet (F), (the Progress Party)
- 4 Members of City Council from Venstre (V), (the Liberal Party)
- 3 Members of City Council from Rødt (R), (the Red Party)
- 3 Members of City Council from Sosialistisk Venstreparti (SV), (the Socialist Left Party)
- 1 Members of City Council from Kristelig Folkeparti (KrF), (the Christian Democratic Party)