Who can take the test?
Anyone who wants to can take the Food Services Act knowledge test. Any person who is going to be the general manager of a food service establishment and serve food and non-alcoholic beverages must have passed the Food Services Act knowledge test.
What is the required reading?
The syllabus for the test is the textbook "Læremateriell - Etablererprøven for serveringsvirksomheter". This book can be purchased from VINN.
How much does the test cost?
It costs NOK 400. Registration is binding. You will not have your expenses reimbursed if you unregister or do not show up for the test. A refund is only given if you have a medical certificate from a doctor.
Where do you take the test?
In the Agency for Business Development Services' premises: Tollbugata 27 (entrance from Øvre Slottsgate), level 5, 0157 OSLO, Norway. You can also take the test in other municipalities.
Taking the test
• You can take the test on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays at 09:30 and 12:30.
• Candidates must arrive no later than 15 minutes before the start of the test for registration and ID check. The following are accepted as valid proof of identity: passport, driving licence or bank card with photograph. Candidates who arrive late will not be able to take the test.
• The test is a multiple-choice test lasting 90 minutes. To pass you must correctly answer 40 out of 50 questions.
• The test can only be taken in Norwegian. Candidates may not use an interpreter or dictionary. Candidates may refer to a collection of laws, which we have available for loan.
• It is not possible to change the test date once you have registered for the test and paid.
Arrangements for people with special needs
• Dyslexics can take the Food Services Act knowledge test as an oral exam (requires a medical certificate).
• We will make special arrangements for people with impaired vision, paralysis, impaired hearing or other challenges, as far as is possible. This must be arranged in advance. Call (+47) 23 46 00 10.
How many times can you take the test?
You can take the test as many times as you want until you pass. It costs NOK 400 each time.
Everyone who passes the Food Services Act knowledge test will receive a certificate, which it is important to take care of. It is documentary proof that you have the necessary knowledge about the Norwegian Food Services Act. The certificate is valid indefinitely. It will be sent to the email address you used when you registered for the test.