Who can take the tests?
Anyone who wants to can take the Alcohol Act knowledge tests. Anyone who is applying for approval as a manager or deputy in places with a licence to sell or serve alcohol must have passed the appropriate test. To be approved as a manager or deputy in a place with a licence to serve alcohol you must be over 20 years of age.
What is the required reading?
- The syllabus for a licence to sell alcohol: Knowledge of chapters 1, 3, 7, 8 and 9 of the Norwegian Alcohol Act and regulations issued pursuant to these chapters.
- The syllabus for a licence to serve alcohol: Knowledge of chapters 1, 4, 5, 7, 8 and 9 of the Norwegian Alcohol Act and regulations issued pursuant to these chapters.
- The syllabus for inspectors: Knowledge of chapters 1, 3, 7, 8 and 9 of the Norwegian Alcohol Act, in addition to the Alcohol act regulations chapters 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 8, 9, 10, 11 and 14.
The text book "Kunnskapsprøven i alkoholloven" contains everything you need to know to take the Alcohol Act knowledge test for a licence to sell alcohol and a licence to serve alcohol. This book can be purchased from VINN.
How much does the tests cost?
It costs 400 NOK. Registration is binding. You will not have your expenses reimbursed if you unregister or do not show up for the test. A refund is only given if you have a medical certificate from a doctor.
Where do you take the tests?
In the Agency for Business Development Services' premises: Tollbugata 27, level 5, (entrance from Øvre Slottsgate), 0157 OSLO, Norway.
Taking the tests
- You can take the tests on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays at 09:30 and 12:30 and on Mondays at 14:00.
- Candidates must arrive no later than 15 minutes before the start of the test for registration and ID check. The following are accepted as valid proof of identity: passport, driving licence or bank card with photograph. Candidates who arrive late will not be able to take the test.
- The test is a multiple-choice test lasting 60 minutes. Candidates who get seven or more answers wrong fail.
- The test can only be taken in Norwegian. Candidates may not use an interpreter. A Norwegian dictionary may be used, which the Agency for Business Development Services has available for loan.
- It is not possible to change the date of a test once you have registered
Arrangements for people with special needs
- Dyslexics can take the Alcohol Act knowledge test as an oral exam (requires a medical certificate)
- We will make special arrangements for people with impaired vision, paralysis, impaired hearing or other challenges, as far as is possible. This must be arranged in advance. Call (+47) 23 46 00 10.
How many times can you take the test?
You can take the test as many times as you want until you pass. It costs 400 NOK each time.
Everyone who passes the Alcohol Act knowledge test will receive a certificate, which it is important to take care of. It is documentary proof that you have the necessary knowledge about the Norwegian Alcohol Act. The certificate is valid indefinitely. It will be sent to the email address you used when you registered for the test.